Saturday, March 1, 2008

Thorpe

This is the most useful hat I've ever knit for my self. Due to my large, stretched earlobes and their susceptablity to frostbite, I have very particular needs for my headgear. As many hats as I've knit in the past few months, I usually wear a hat bought at Target for my day to day adventures. That has all changed now.

Thorpe

It's Thorpe, Kirsten Kapur's über hat. It's supa warm, it fits well and it looks cool enough for everyday wear. Knit from the top down, the construction is simple and intuitive. I did start this hat three times due to gauge issues and the difficulty of joining four stitches to work in the round on dpns, but I'm sure someone of average intellegence will have an easier time at it.

The yarn is the left over Unikat from my scarf, which coincedentaly, is finished as well. It's supposedly super-bulky, but I used #7 needles to achieve an appropriate fabric. I just added two more increase rounds and it fits like a head-shaped glove. It feels like having a very well behaved rabbit strapped to my head. I mean it's soft.

Thorpe

Oh, I've been silk screening some t-shirts for one of my installations. There are seven designs, but this one is the winner, hands down:

Here's the front:

Santa Barbara

And this is the back:

Santa Barbara

That's all I got.

12 comments:

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

That Thorpe is a major winner--and I had to switch to Magic Loop for the top of the hat because I could not manage the dpns at all...

BEESTLYproducts said...

another gr8 hat? prtty effin dope, cuz.

Virtuous said...

Look at you James!!
Glad you're still knitting over there!
And likin' the T-shirt....meaning please???
crismondiva1999@yahoo.com

sko_G knits said...

love the shirt...

Kyle William said...

you're talented... love that shirt too... where do I go to buy one?

www.kyleknits.blogspot.com

DeanB said...

Try the figure-8 cast on for a top-down hat -- there was an article in the spring 2006 Knitty, "magic cast-on for socks". I've used it for mittens and I don't see any reason not to start a hat with it.

jennifer said...

Awesome and awesomer.

Charles said...

AWESOME HAT!~~
OMG Does pink T-shirt so rocking awesome!

Anonymous said...

Great hat and shirt! About the herbs, I never did figure out what to do with my lemon balm from last year. At the end of the summer I dried it along with everything else, but still haven't found a use for it, but it does smell nice. If you can grow lavender I recommend it, smells lovely! Oh, and be careful of catnip, I have everything in the yard and the neighborhood cats made it their hangout last year!

DebbieKnitter said...

Hi James!!! thanks for stopping by my blog:) Ohhh I love that hat, it is AWSOME!! I seriously need to get my hat knittin' on....my poor friends and family barely had enough to last them this winter :(
Shame on me heehee

Probably Jane said...

Fine t-shirt - did you know that St Bridgid of Ireland is the patron saint of poultry?

Lynette said...

what a very cool T.