Wednesday, December 19, 2007

'Tis The Season

Isn't it weird how you forget you haven't blogged in a week or so because you're knitting constantly? Am I alone on this one? Anyone? Bueller? I normally start my Christmas knitting in January but somehow this year it snuck up on me. I've started three projects in the past week in preparation for the most wonderful time of the year.

I went through my stash and found a ball of Knitpicks Elegance in Fog so I started a cowl for my mom.

cowl

I used the pattern from Last Minuted Knitted Gifts for the Pashmina Cowl. My mom loves cowls. It's weird. It's even a weird word to say. Cowl. It sounds like a eugenics experiment gone wrong. "It hoots and flies but you can milk it too!"
I really love knitting it though because it's just round after round of plain stockinette. Unfortunately this project isn't a genuine stash buster 'cause I ordered 2 additional balls of yarn and I'm probably going to have one left over. So if we do our math, that leaves me with exactly what I started with. Oh well.

I'm also knitting a scarf for my dad.

scarf

The yarn is Cascade Pastaza from my stash, bought specifically for this purpose. I chose the color (Antique Gold) as a nod to his Alma Mater, Georgia Tech, which just coincedentally happens to be the rival of my Alma Mater, UGA.
I am a good son.

I added a last minute present to my list. My friend Atom is a good friend indeed, and I figured he needed a warm hat to battle the bitter Chicago winter on his bike. Enter the Army Earflap Cap.

army earflap cap

I really like this pattern. I substituted Brown Sheep Lambs Pride Bulky for the Misty Alpaca to make a sturdy man-version of the Interweave Knits pattern. While knitting, I discovered that the increases on the center back create a lace-like eyelet pattern. I'm into it. Dudes need more eyelets. Thankfully this hat doesn't have to be done until after the New Year.

We leave for our holiday travels tomorrow so I'm going to be busting it in order to finish these projects by next week. I wish you all luck with your gift knitting and I hope you all have a fantastic holiday!

7 comments:

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Go Dawgs! (Hehe, I hate sports) but I am a UGA grad myself!! And thanks for that mistake rib scarf idea, I totally kicked that out in less than 2 days!!

BEESTLYproducts said...

"It hoots and flies but you can milk it too!"
<---lolz

i wish i had enough drive to finish gifts. all i want to do is take a nap.

Virtuous said...

Great holiday knits!
I luv that Cascade Pastaza!

Merry Christmas James!

Claire said...

I'm right there with you on the holiday knitting. My blog has been put on hold and pretty much so have most of my normal everyday responsibilities. It's knit...knit...knit and nothing else. Only a few more days left!! Good luck and Happy Christmas!!

Charles said...

Hey James~~

I just want to say have a great Merry Christmas!

Great Wishes and Hopes...

Love,

Charles

Stephen said...

That Cascade Pastaza color is absolutely amazing! I need to get some of that. You have really great projects. I'm Stephen by the way. I've been knitting for a couple years now, but just got obsessed with it this past Fall. Check out my knitting blog if you get the chance. http://collegiatecrafter.blogspot.com/

Stephen said...

That Cascade Pastaza color is absolutely amazing! I need to get some of that. You have really great projects. I'm Stephen by the way. I've been knitting for a couple years now, but just got obsessed with it this past Fall. Check out my knitting blog if you get the chance. http://collegiatecrafter.blogspot.com/