Saturday, September 20, 2008

How To Look Like You're Actually Working

There's always a constant struggle between feeling like you need to be working and the shear all-consuming hatred of whatever you're being forced to work on. I'm navigating this slippery slope by knitting stockings for an upcoming project. Now, I've always tried to keep my kniting and my art seperate, but this project is a strong culmination of the work I've been doing for the past six years and it just happens to require five pair of handknit men's wool knee high stockings It's working out perfectly because I can carry them around with me and work on them anytime I can. It's psychologically fulfilling because I'm constantly working on my project, but they don't require me to focus on the mind-n
umbing ins and outs of conceptual art while I knit.

Let's look at some, eh?

This is the first one finished.

stocking

Please excuse the blurry photo. Have you ever tried to take a picture of your leg in a knee high stocking? It sucks. Find a friend to do it for you.


This is the one I'm currently working on. It's going pretty fast, knit on size sevens with worsted weight wool
.stocking

The astute among you may notice that these socks are knit from two very differnt colors of wool. This occured because I didn't order enough yarn for these black holes passing as socks. More yarn will arrive shortly so I can make actual pairs.

There's a fairly handsome cable running down the leg of the first sock, but it has been eschewed for the future generations of socks, as it is both a time suck and yarn eater.

stocking

It does look mighty fine though, if I do say so myself.

3 comments:

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

The sheer amazingness of the second two photos makes up for the first photo, which is blurry but we get the point--it is one big ass stocking! Good luck with your work, I always loathe it, even if I love it.

BEESTLYproducts said...

5 pair?! u're so ambitious :-)

Melissa, Dofona Olosun said...

wow! i'm enthralled by your knitting and baking skills. thanks for your comment on my blog a while ago...i'm just now figuring out how to respond to folks in their own blogs lol. have a great week!